Based in Cardiff, UK
May 1st, 2016
Press / Business contact:
25 The Philog
+44 (0)7989 584 538
At Talespinners we provide story and narrative services for games developers, helping studios of all sizes to create or strengthen their game’s story. Whether writing and polishing scripts, crafting plot and characters, or troubleshooting scenes, we’ll work with a development team to help them create narrative, characters, and dialogue that will resonate with their players.
We were set up in 2016 by Ian Thomas and Giles Armstrong, both experienced freelancers with a long history in the industry. Our goal was to act as a story studio that would support games development teams who might not have full time writing talent. While many teams know what story they want to tell, they're not always experienced in delivering that story, in handling pacing, or in writing dialogue, and our aim was to offer them that support.The Present
The company is headed up by Ian and Giles, who write, design and produce much of the company's work directly and act as editors and project managers for any subcontractors. We work with a range of associate writers who we call in when we need help, or when we need a particular skillset. Along with games writers, we have award-winning authors, comic book writers, screenwriters, copywriters and editors on our books.
ProjectsWe're currently working on a wide range of projects, including a VR MORPG, a retro platformer, a brawler, a squad-based FPS, an interactive novel, a local co-op boardgame, a live-action video adventure, and a first-person horror. Here are a few of the titles where our involvement has been announced:
- The Siege and the Sandfox
- The Bunker
- Raid: World War II
- The Exiled
- Raiders of Erda
- The latest game from Frictional Games
- A title under development by Instinct Games
GDC 2017 Teaser YouTube
The Siege and the Sandfox YouTube
The Bunker YouTube
RAID: World War 2 YouTube
The Exiled YouTube
There are far more images available for Talespinners, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "Talespinners quickly grasped our concept and were immediately able to work it into a captivating and inspirational story. Whenever an issue with the narrative came up, Talespinners were always quick to respond and promptly came up with solutions."
- Mostafa Hafez, CEO, Instinct Games
- "Giles and Ian did a brilliant job of understanding our requirements and delivering a great story bible for us to work with as we went through pre-production with our coop VR RPG ‘Raiders of Erda’. The staged approach to feedback and iteration between their team and ours meant that we got exactly what we were after and we can’t wait to continue working with them as the game now goes into full production! Thanks guys!"
- Simon Barratt, Director, Cooperative Innovations
- "It was a pleasure working with Ian on The Bunker, he has an expert eye for game design detail and an incredible talent for bringing real humanity to storylines. His logic in game narrative structure is flawless and he brought an amazing attention to detail to The Bunker, providing layer after layer of storytelling, making the game richer and more immersive."
- Allan Plenderleith, Director, Splendy Games
- "We had a rough and sprawling story and lore for The Exiled that organically developed over years of development. Ian came and turned that chaos into a structured and coherent document, in the course solving the many logical problems and inconsistencies that had developed. With tiny amounts oversight and feedback from our side he came up with an interesting lore and turned that lore into engaging words. Will work with him again on future projects."
- Alexander Zacherl, Managing Director / Game Director, Fairytale Distillery
- "Working with the guys at Talespinners was a very straightforward, creative and collaborative experience. It took very little conversation to get on the right track and move forward with some excellent narrative and conversational dialogue being written. We worked together on RAID: World War II by Lion game Lion, which has a complex VO structure. Talespinners grasped this very quickly and we went on to write some great dialogue in character. We hope to have a working relationship with Talespinners for some time to come."
- Arash Amini, Producer, Lion Game Lion
- "Giles demonstrated fantastic knowledge of story telling techniques, and worked with us to help develop our characters to have real personalities with substance and motivation."
- Kirsty Rigden, Producer & Lead Designer, FuturLab
- "Ian doesn’t just do the job you give him. He brings new ideas, new approaches and directions, and pulls, sculpts and batters your ideas until they look far shinier than they ever were - or would have been – without him. He is an excellent writer, coder, and logical mind that will help you and your project in far more ways than what is written on any contract or agreement."
- Olly Bennett, Managing Director, Cardboard Sword
Director, Narrative Designer, Writer, Coder
Director, Narrative Designer, Writer