Based in Cardiff, UK
May 1st, 2016
Press / Business contact:
25 The Philog
+44 (0)7989 584 538
At Talespinners we provide story and narrative services for games developers, helping studios of all sizes to create or strengthen their game’s story. Whether writing and polishing scripts, crafting plot and characters, or troubleshooting scenes, we’ll work with a development team to help them create narrative, characters, and dialogue that will resonate with their players.
We were set up in 2016 by Ian Thomas and Giles Armstrong, both experienced freelancers with a long history in the industry. Our goal was to act as a story studio that would support games development teams who might not have full time writing talent. While many teams know what story they want to tell, they're not always experienced in delivering that story, in handling pacing, or in writing dialogue, and our aim was to offer them that support.The Present
The company is headed up by Ian and Giles, who write, design and produce much of the company's work directly and act as editors and project managers for any subcontractors. We work with a range of associate writers who we call in when we need help, or when we need a particular skillset. Along with games writers, we have award-winning authors, comic book writers, screenwriters, copywriters and editors on our books.
ProjectsWe're working across a wide variety of genres and platforms - console, PC, handheld, mobile, VR, AR, live game, TV, and film! Here are a few of the titles where our involvement has been announced:
- The Spectrum Retreat
- Tropico 6
- The Siege and the Sandfox
- The Bunker
- Raid: World War II
- Talesinger: Voice of the Dragon
- Bloody Zombies
- The Exiled
- Raiders of Erda
- Burden of Command
- Winter Hall
- Operation Apex
- Bomber Crew
- Purrfect Date
- A title under development by Eidos Montréal
- The latest game from Frictional Games
- A title under development by Instinct Games
- Interactive audio drama series with Earplay
Spring 2018 Teaser YouTube
The Spectrum Retreat YouTube
The Siege and the Sandfox YouTube
The Bunker YouTube
Bloody Zombies YouTube
Burden of Command YouTube
There are far more images available for Talespinners, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "The Bunker shortlisted for the BAFTA Cymru Games Award 2017" - BAFTA Cymru Awards, 2017
- "The Bunker shortlisted for Best Writing" - Develop Awards, 2017
- "Talespinners quickly grasped our concept and were immediately able to work it into a captivating and inspirational story. Whenever an issue with the narrative came up, Talespinners were always quick to respond and promptly came up with solutions."
- Mostafa Hafez, CEO, Instinct Games
- "Great talent combined with a complete openness to feedback, make Talespinners a top class vendor. They took our feedback onboard and improved upon it quickly, with complete clarity on progress at all
key stages throughout development. A big thank you to Giles and Ian."
- Dan Mills, External Producer, nDreams Ltd
- "Giles and Ian did a brilliant job of understanding our requirements and delivering a great story bible for us to work with as we went through pre-production with our coop VR RPG ‘Raiders of Erda’. The staged approach to feedback and iteration between their team and ours meant that we got exactly what we were after and we can’t wait to continue working with them as the game now goes into full production! Thanks guys!"
- Simon Barratt, Director, Cooperative Innovations
- "It was a pleasure working with Ian on The Bunker, he has an expert eye for game design detail and an incredible talent for bringing real humanity to storylines. His logic in game narrative structure is flawless and he brought an amazing attention to detail to The Bunker, providing layer after layer of storytelling, making the game richer and more immersive."
- Allan Plenderleith, Director, Splendy Games
- "Talespinners have been wonderful to work with; enthusiastic, imaginative, and organised. I thoroughly enjoyed our story meetings. They’ve delivered excellent dialogue and plenty of strong ideas that have lifted our narrative, and spotted story problems early that might have resulted in wasted work. Even if you have a good handle on your story, I would recommend bouncing your ideas off Talespinners – they’ll come back even better."
- Chris Payne, Managing Director, Quantum Soup
- "We had a rough and sprawling story and lore for The Exiled that organically developed over years of development. Ian came and turned that chaos into a structured and coherent document, in the course solving the many logical problems and inconsistencies that had developed. With tiny amounts oversight and feedback from our side he came up with an interesting lore and turned that lore into engaging words. Will work with him again on future projects."
- Alexander Zacherl, Managing Director / Game Director, Fairytale Distillery
- "Working with the guys at Talespinners was a very straightforward, creative and collaborative experience. It took very little conversation to get on the right track and move forward with some excellent narrative and conversational dialogue being written. We worked together on RAID: World War II by Lion game Lion, which has a complex VO structure. Talespinners grasped this very quickly and we went on to write some great dialogue in character. We hope to have a working relationship with Talespinners for some time to come."
- Arash Amini, Producer, Lion Game Lion
- "Giles demonstrated fantastic knowledge of story telling techniques, and worked with us to help develop our characters to have real personalities with substance and motivation."
- Kirsty Rigden, Producer & Lead Designer, FuturLab
- "Ian doesn’t just do the job you give him. He brings new ideas, new approaches and directions, and pulls, sculpts and batters your ideas until they look far shinier than they ever were - or would have been – without him. He is an excellent writer, coder, and logical mind that will help you and your project in far more ways than what is written on any contract or agreement."
- Olly Bennett, Managing Director, Cardboard Sword
Ian Thomas - Director
Writer, Narrative Designer, Coder, Director
Giles Armstrong - Director
Writer, Narrative Designer, Editor
Chris Tihor - Associate
Writer, Game Designer
Jason Marchant - Associate
Michelle Clough - Associate
Writer, Editor, Game Designer
Matt Gibbs - Associate
Writer, Editor, Game Designer
Rachel Thomas - Associate
Live Game Designer, Producer